THE PAZO

We offer our clients a unique stay Filled with experiences of unforgettable sensations, which gives our customers the feeling of being part of history, transported to an authentic 17th century manor house.

History

O Castro’s life in the Middle Ages paced smoothly in the shadow of its castle, an important fortress, given its strategic location on the way connecting Galicia and León. Its 15th century fortress always fulfilled a protective role, being a common stop for kings, who signed documents of historical value there.

The monumental landmark of O Castro preserves the ruins of the castle with its tower, and is completed with two Pazos, or manor houses from later times: the Casa Grande, close to the medieval fortress and the Pazo de Flórez or Pazo do Castro.

Later, the current Casa Fuerte-Palacio del Castro was built, where an inscription in the chapel (placed there in 1914 by the then owner Don Alfonso Flórez Losada y Quiroga, former senator and deputy in Cortes) says that it was “Don Pedro de Losada y Quiroga, Canon of the Holy Cathedral of Toledo, Bishop-elect of Orihuela, Knight of the Order of Santiago, founder of this plot and estate, year 1630″.

THE PAZO

Pazo do Castro takes its name from the town in which it is located, which was the most important town in Medieval Valdeorras.

Later it passed onto the hands of the Flórez family, and has remained in their hands until our days, as attested by the coats of arms on the main facade of the building, where we can see the five fleur-de-lys on gold, on a field of azure, typical of the Flórez Losada family.

The last inhabitants of the manor house were the Marquises of Esteva de las Delicias, a noble title belonging to the grandees of Spain, who lived in this house and palace until it became what it is today, a 4-star landmark hotel in which a rustic past and a comfortable present combine to perfection.

MAKE A RESERVATION
· Contact · Contact · Contact Icono Email Icono Email